The issues that shoppers are concerned with are:
1. They don't update their "Out of Stock" message for products on the website quickly or accurately enough. So you can order things and then get an email saying that they are out of stock, then you have to choose a replacement or get store credit. Some shoppers find this concerning. I just make sure only to order items that are relatively new arrivals and still say that there are at "100" in stock. Whenever I break this self-imposed rule I run into trouble.
2. It takes a long time for them to prepare your order. My stuff took just under a month to arrive. The shipping was quick, through Fedex, but the company took ages to fill and pack my order. So, not for those after something for an occasion next week. This doesn't bother me as I wouldn't use these sites for any special occasion clothing.
3. The quality of the items is extremely hit and miss. Some of the items I have received are top level high street quality. Beautiful fabrics, well made. Other items have been really bizarrely bad. I am getting to know how to tell if something will be good or bad through my experiences, so I don't think this is so much of a problem for me.
4. Trouble with the fit of the clothing. The sizes are vague and small. The free size clothing is a small or extra-small. In jeans I have to go up 4 waist sizes to get the correct size. But in general, I don't have too much trouble with the sizing, I know what to expect from asian fits and they seem to suit me pretty well. Plus most of the stuff is stretch or full cut.
The clothes are extremely inexpensive. Jeans are $10 - $20, shoes are bags are in the same range. And there is still the chance that the stuff you order is of a pretty good quality.
So, having a small amount of credit on my account from my last order I was tempted to make another order.
For this order I was able to choose items a little more wisely and I think I ended up with some of their higher quality items.
A couple of pairs of jeans that originally ordered were out of stock, but this time instead of getting store credit I arranged to have some replacement garments sent.
The customer service was perfectly fine, emails went back and forth and were answered promptly, considering the time difference.
Onto the items
For each item I have included the picture from the site and a description of what I actually received.
This lace blouse was probably one of my two least favourite items. The picture on the site looked vintage cheesecloth style and quite long. The blouse I received is bright white and quite stiff. The style is not as detailed as it appears in this photo. The re-creation garment that they have made is style a nice top and I will get wear out it.
In contrast to the t-shirt above this long sleeved t-shirt is lovely. The quality of the fabric and the beading is amazing. The fit is great and I'm sure I will get a lot of wear out of it when the weather is cool.
This faux-leather skirt is one of the items that I ordered to replace items from my original order that were out of stock. I am really surprised by the high quality of this item. The faux-leather is thick and soft, the studs are evenly applied and the fit is fantastic! I've seen this exact skirt in Zara, so I guess the factory was making them for Zara as well.
Army/camouflage print is everywhere at the moment and I have a great pair of camo print jeans from CottonOn that I love. I've seen a few street style pictures lately with camo print blazers and so I've had my eye out for one to smarten up jeans and dress down leather pants.
This top is of typical bargain store quality. I think I should have ordered the small as the large is quite big around the shoulders and makes me look quite "chunky". Still a good item for layering and the chiffon back looks really great.
In general I guess the guide could be - if it is a magazine photo the garment will be nothing like what you see, if it is a Zara photo the garment will be amazing, if it is a "model" photo by the site it will be what you see but probably poor construction.
Oh, and most jeans are tiny in size so probably best not to risk your money!
Please note: I haven't linked to the items as they are probably all out of stock by now.
* This is not a paid post. I ordered and paid for my items myself.