Chilli Con Carne is not really the sort of dish that you need a recipe for, but this is the way that I make it. Very simple, not very "gourmet" but a great way to prepare a few nights worth of meals ahead of time, ready to be pulled out of the freezer on a cold and tired night.
I decided to serve it with brown rice, broccoli and kale to make a wholesome and filling dish. I hadn't cooked or eaten kale before as it has not been readily available in Australia until recently. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the mild flavour and firm texture of the kale once it had been cooked. I'm looking forward to serving it as a salad with avocado and a sesame dressing.
Chilli Con Carne
1 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1/2 carrot, finely diced
300 g extra lean beef mince
1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
350 ml tomato passata
1 cup boiling water
2 x packets microwave brown rice
1 bunch kale, sauted for 5 mintues
1 head broccoli, steamed
1 bunch coriander (cilantro)
1. Heat a glug of olive oil in a heavy based pan.
2. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
3. Add carrot and spices and saute until soft.
4. Remove mixture from pan, add another glug of olive oil.
5. Add mince and stir constantly while browning meat.
6. Once meat is brown, add nion mixture back into the pan and stir to combine.
7. Stir in kidney beans.
8. Add tomato passata and water and simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.