Thursday, January 17, 2013

Fresh and Light in the New Year

Maple and Grapefruit Chicken Skewers
This year at my work we did a "Bad Santa" Kris Kringle. Which basically involves gift stealing. I was the last to choose/receive my gift, meaning that I could choose any gift that had already been opened or open the last unwrapped gift. Loving a surprise, I chose to open the last gift.

And I was rewarded with a gift that seemed perfectly chosen for me! Donna Hay's new Fresh and Light book. It is a beautifully designed book that gives lots of ideas for healthy and satisfying meals, snacks and sweets. I vowed that I would work my through the book in the new year.

In my first adventure into Fresh and Light I couldn't help myself and I changed one of the recipes. But it wasn't really my fault. See, the original recipe called for an orange; Coles only had oranges from the USA and I hate to buy something that has been imported all that way when we have perfectly good oranges here. (Nothing against the USA, just the fossil fuels it takes to get them here is ridiculous!) So in my search for Australian oranges, I noticed Australian Ruby Red Grapefruit. Hmmmm. And so it began.
Maple and Grapefruit Chicken Skewers

Maple and Grapefruit Chicken Skewers
Adapted from Donna Hay's Fennel and Orange Chicken Skewers

1/2 Ruby Red Grapefruit, juice of
1 Tbs pure maple syrup
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tsp sesame oil
5 free range chicken thighs

1. Soak skewers in some cold water.
2. Combine juice, maple syrup, garlic and sesame oil in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Trim large sections of fat off chicken thighs, then slice each thigh into about 6 - 8 squarish pieces.
4. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers and place into a large glass or ceramic dish.
5. Pour marinade over the skewers, ensuring they are evenly coated.
6. Cover and place into the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours (longer is better).
7. Remove from refrigerator. Place on a lined baking tray and cook under a medium grill, turning every couple of minutes until cooked through. Mine took about 8 minutes.
8. Serve!

I served the skewers with the Miso and Sesame Broccoli from the same Donna Hay book and some SmartRice Brown Rice (which is AMAZING!) for a light but wholesome midweek dinner.


Maple and Grapefruit Chicken Skewers

Enjoy!
Ella xx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation!