We all have them. Those foods that we crave when we are tired and down and need a food hug. This does not have to be a bad thing. Most of my comfort foods are homemade, nutritious and good for the soul all at once.
My all-time favourite comfort food is one that my partner first prepared for me when I had a leg injury and was feeling pretty blah. I suppose my love for this dish is all wrapped up in the experience of having him prepare this for me, with love and care, at that time when I felt really down.
160g large shell pasta or casarecci
1 Tbs mild flavoured olive oil
4 Tbs extra finely grated (using a Microplane) parmesan cheese
2 Tbs white truffle oil
Salt and pepper
1. Cook pasta to al dente according to instructions (about 8 minutes).
2. In a separate large pot bring water to the boil and add a dash of white vinegar. Poach four eggs and drain well using paper towel.
3. Drain pasta, add olive oil to lubricate. Arrange on plates/bowls.
4. Top each bowl of pasta with two eggs, half of the parmesan and truffle oil.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve with love.
NOTE: If you can get your hands on some truffle infused eggs they elevate this dish to an extraordinarily beautiful food moment. I promise.