The weather is starting to warm up and the sun is shining for longer each day. With the change in weather comes a change in appetite. We have been craving light and fresh flavours for our nightly meals. Today we decided to make a panzanella salad, which left us sated and happy.
Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Italy
1 kilo of tomatoes - (I used 1 small punnet grape tomatoes, 1 small punnet grape kumato tomatoes and 4 roma tomatoes, heritage tomatoes would be amazing in this dish)
1 red onion
150 grams buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini cheese
1/2 cup roughly chopped basil
1/2 cup roughly chopped parsley
1/2 cup roughly chopped mint
1 yellow capsicum
1 red capsicum
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs baby capers
2 Tbs Red Wine vinegar
10 Tbs Olive oil
3 ciabatta bread rolls
1. Chop the tomatoes into 2cm cubes, if using grape tomatoes, halve them.
2. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper, drain in a sieve over a bowl. Reserve the liquid for your dressing.
3. Place drained tomatoes to a large mixing bowl.
4. Thinly slice the onion and add to the drained tomatoes.
5. Tear the cheese into 2cm pieces and add to the tomatoes.
6. Add chopped herbs to the tomato mixture, leaving some aside for garnishing.
8. Cool the capsicums, then peel the skin off and slices into ribbons. Add to the tomato mixture.
9. Quickly roast the garllic cloves on the barbeque or grill. Use a garlic crusher to extract the roasted garlic from the cloves. Place in a jar.
10. Add baby capers, vinegar, olive oil and reserved juices from drained tomatoes to the jar. Add salt and pepper to taste, secure lid and shake to combine.
13. Top with tomato, capsicum and cheese mixture. Add additional dressing and garnish with herbs.
We enjoyed some Chateau Tanunda Eden Valley Riesling with our salad and it's light flavour complemented the salad beautifully.