Thursday, November 1, 2012

Good Morning Baby!


Chobani yoghurt with homemade muesli and fresh pear and strawberries
 
One of my favourite ways to start the day is with a healthy and delicious breakfast at home. I love the chance to relax and enjoy some time before I have to go out into the world.

This year I've started to eat Chobani yoghurt, as it has just become available in Australia at Woolworths supermarkets (yay!). Chobani is very healthful as it high in protein and low in fat and sugar. I buy large tubs of plain no fat Chobani to keep in my fridge at home. I use it in many recipes, but my favourite way to eat it has to be as a sweet breakfast.

A typical breakfast scene in my home...

To add some flavour and crunch to my Chobani I mix in some vanilla bean paste and top it with homemade toasted muesli from a recipe my told me on the phone.

Mum's Toasted Muesli

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds, hazelnuts or nut of your choice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey
2 Tbs vanilla bean paste
1 Tbs ground cinnamon


1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Heat olive oil, honey, vanilla and cinnamon in microwave for 20 - 30 seconds, stir to combine.
3. Pour olive oil and honey over dry ingredients and quickly and vigorously stir to combine.
4. Arrange in a thin layer on baking trays and bake in oven on 160 for 20 minutes or until toasty brown. Don't leave unattended as it can go very quickly from almost ready to horribly burnt!
5. Allow to cool completely on trays.
6. Store in a large glass jar, should last for a month or more.

You can add or change dry ingredients in this recipe to allow for your taste, just try to keep the proportions relatively similar.
If you don't feel that your dry ingredients are sufficiently coated, you can always up the amount
of oil and honey, but be careful, this will
significantly increase the calories.


Enjoy!
Ella xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation!