The request for dinner came in "Something light, please." Hmmm. I didn't feel like a cold salad or steamed vegies.
We hadn't had any seafood in a few days so I thought I would choose what looked best at the shops. I went for salmon fillets as I am weak and they are my favourite.
I usually prepare salmon by marinating in kecap manis and lime juice and then searing it in a pan and then serving with soba noodle salad, but I wanted to try something new. Why not, it was Thursday night and I was exhausted, what could go wrong?
I decided to cook the salmon wrapped in baking paper packets in the oven as it would mean no mess and a new method for me to try. I was really happy with the results and when served with a side of brown rice and a delicious salad it was a great balanced meal. Neither of us could finish a whole salmon fillet so we had the leftovers for lunches!
Salmon en Papillote with Brown Rice and Green, Green, Green Salad
2 fillets of salmon, skin on or removed according to preference (I removed the skin)
1 Tbs baby capers, rinsed and crushed
1 Tbs olive oil
1/4 lemon cut into small slices
1 Tbs moroccan spice mix
2 dinner plate size pieces of baking paper
2 dinner plates size pieces of aluminium foil
1 Tbs mayonnaise
1/2 Tbs lime juice
1 Tbs water
Salt and pepper
1 baby cos lettuce, roughly chopped
1 avocado, sliced
1 green apple, finely sliced
A handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
3 Tbs apple cider vinegar
5 Tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
1 packet SmartRice brown rice
1. Preheat oven to 200 C
2. Place foil on baking tray, line each piece of foil with baking paper.
3. Place Salmon fillets on baking paper. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with capers, moroccan spice and arrange lemon slices on top of fillets.
4. Fold over baking paper and foil and fold over edges twice to seal.
5. Bake in oven for 12 - 15 minutes or until salmon fillets are cooked through to your liking.
6. While salmon is cooking, wash lettuce and apple. Break lettuce leaves into halves and arrange in salad bowl. Mix Apple cider, olive oil and salt and pepper in a small jar and shake to combine. Pour over lettuce leaves and then use your hands to gently toss the lettuce to coat evenly with dressing.
7. Slice apple and avocado and arrange on top of lettuce. Sprinkle with walnuts.
8. In a small bowl whisk to combine mayonnaise, lime juice, water and salt and pepper.
9. Once salmon is cooked remove from oven and rest while you cook the rice in the microwave.
10. Arrange salmon fillets on plates with brown rice. Drizzle with mayonnaise dressing* and serve with salad.
The mayonnaise dressing is completely optional, it will be healthier and still completely delicious without it.