Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A healthy start

Porridge with Cinnamon and Maple Syrup and Coffee

Porridge. The name itself is enough to illicit groans from grown men. But for me, porridge is a delicious and healthy start to the day that keeps me full until my mid-morning meal. (Maybe I should start calling it oatmeal and pretend I'm American?)

Porridge is filling as it high in fibre and protein. Due to the high levels of soluble and insoluble fibre and in porridge it aids in the stabilisation of blood sugar levels and provides sustained energy.

Recently I've changed the way I make porridge to change things up a little. here's how I do it:

Combine 1/2 cup Quaker Instant Oats and 3/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk in a bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir and then microwave for another 1 - 2 minutes, until oats are cooked and mixture has thickened.
Remove from microwave. Add a dash of whole milk, 1 tsp vanilla bean paste and 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Stir to combine. Top with sugar-free maple syrup and another dash of ground cinnamon.

I love to have a mug of coffee with stevia and a dash of milk along with my porridge, I think it goes beautifully with the flavours in the porridge.
Porridge with Cinnamon and Maple Syrup and Coffee

Enjoy!
Ella xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding to the conversation!